Hi, I’m Madeline and I lead the design team at Customer.io 👋
We are hiring our first ever Brand Designer for our design team! As the first person in this role, you’ll have autonomy to shape the visual side of our brand.
We make a tool for marketers to create their most ambitious messaging workflow ideas, quickly and without (much) code. We believe that emails and messages should be relevant, helpful, and dare we say, enjoyable. No more spam!
We need you to tell our story everywhere our brand is represented: our website, socials, ads, sales materials, and more. You’ll be the bridge between the design and marketing teams, creating a cohesive visual brand identity that celebrates why we are different.
What you’ll be responsible for
- Overseeing our visual brand direction and creating brand guidelines that can be used by the product, marketing, sales, and ops teams.
- Redesigning our website to better tell our story.
- Owning the design of all brand collateral, digital and physical, like sales materials, ads, emails, swag, and conference materials.
- Collaborating with product designers to bring brand elements into the product. You’ll be embedded on the design team so you’ll have peers to work with.
- You’re knowledgeable in visual design fundamentals – typography, color, layout, vector work etc.
- You have a portfolio of memorable brand assets and website designs, showing a mastery of your design tools of choice.
- You’re ready to lead big design changes in our brand and comfortable challenging the status quo at Customer.io.
- You know how to be a brand advocate. You’re able to create close relationships with our customers and speak directly to their why.
- You know how to communicate your design decisions to different audiences.
- You’re a systems thinker who can turn decisions into guidelines for others.
- You care about making sure your work is inclusive and accessible.
Ideal, but not required…
- You have experience creating illustrations.
- We work with an awesome freelancer in Egypt, but would love for you to build on his work.
- You have experience creating interactive content like animated illustrations, videos, or gifs.
- You’re located in UTC -4 to -7 timezone to maximize working hours overlap.
Our mission at Customer.io is to power automated communication that people like to receive. Today over 2,300 internet businesses use Customer.io to manage, send, and track performance of email, SMS, and push notifications. Unlike typical marketing platforms, Customer.io helps businesses increase relevance by using behavioral data: what people do or don’t do when logged in to a web or mobile app.
We are offering a starting salary of $88,000 – $100,000 USD depending on experience and subject to market rate.
Benefits at Customer.io include:
- 20 days PTO – we offer 20 vacation days (in addition to holidays and sick days) so that you can unwind, unplug, and recharge 100% medical, dental, vision, and supplemental insurance for you and your dependents
- 6 weeks paid parental leave – for birth, adoption, or foster care
- Health and wellness allowance – Up to $200 USD per month that can be used for your healthy living needs, including gym membership, acupuncture, massage, or bike repairs
- Home office stipend – Up to $2,000 USD to help you get your home office set up so you can do your best work
- Internet + cell phone reimbursement – Up to $200 USD per month for your internet and cell phone plans
- Co-working space reimbursement – Up to $300 USD per month for those times you’d prefer to work in a co-working environment
- Learning + development – Up to $2,000 USD reimbursement per year to use on conferences, books, classes, or workshops – anything that will help you develop your skills
- 1 month paid sabbatical after four years at Customer.io – to treat yourself to a vacation, or spend however you choose
- Company retreats twice a year – we typically get together IRL every spring and fall, but most recently had an amazing virtual retreat!
- Flexible schedule, work anywhere you want! – as long as you have a reliable internet connection and some overlapping work time with your manager, you can work where and when you want
- All final candidates will be asked to complete an employment and education verification authorization form (which allows us to verify your job history and education listed on your resume) as part of our pre-employment process.
Customer.io recognizes the stifling impact of systemic injustice on diverse communities. We commit to using our influence to increase inclusion and equity within the tech industry. We strive to build an inclusive team culture, implement bias-free hiring practices, and develop community partnerships to expand our global impact.
Check out our careers page for more information about why you should come work with us! We are passionate about our core values of Empathy, Transparency, Responsibility, and Awkwardness and are looking for new coworkers to share and build that passion!
How to apply
Apply at the link below by 5pm MST December 17th. Tell us why you’re interested in the position and mention the best book or podcast you’ve read/listened to lately! There is no advantage to applying early so put your best foot forward. We plan to respond to all applicants by December 21st with a status update about your application.
Here’s what you can expect from our hiring process:
30 min video call with our Recruiter & Onboarding Specialist
45 min video call with me (Madeline)
60 mins to complete a short project
60 mins to review the project with other designers and marketing folks
30 min final interview