Our mission is to democratize opportunity for students everywhere. We believe that every student should have an equal opportunity to build a meaningful career regardless of where they go to school, what they major in, or who they know. The Handshake community includes 14 million students and young alumni at more than 900 universities. We connect talent from across all 50 states with over 500,000 employers recruiting on Handshake – from every Fortune 500 company to thousands of local mom and pop shops, nonprofits, startups, and more.
We welcome all people. We celebrate diversity of all kinds and are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals. We seek to hire, develop and retain talented people from all backgrounds. Individuals from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized or underrepresented groups strongly encouraged to apply.
If you are not sure that you’re 100% qualified, but up for the challenge – we want you to apply.
Handshake is looking to bring on a Customer Support Specialist to provide email support to our employer and student users. This role is a 3-month contract with a possibility of conversion to full-time upon evaluation of fit for the role and company. If you love working through a high volume of questions that have similar themes, utilizing repeatable procedures, digging into a product, and are resourceful with attention to detail – this is the role for you!
You will work closely with our Customer Support team to provide efficient and effective support and contribute to an overall seamless experience for users. You will help unblock career services, students, and employer users, frequently utilize macros in responding to common questions or issues, and share trends and learnings with the Support team to continue improving the customer experience and our team operations. As an advocate for our career centers, students, and employer users, you’ll improve the Handshake user experience and make an impact on our mission to democratize opportunity.
- Contribute 15-20 hours per week during our business hours of Monday through Friday
- Must be available to work at least 3 weekdays per week
- Provide amazing email support to Handshake customers via internal ticketing system/emails. Your day-to-day will consist of:
- 90%: resolving email questions, troubleshooting issues, and general inquiries (100-300 tickets per week)
- 5%: attending team meetings (1-3 per week)
- 5%: completing administrative tasks (checking announcements and emails daily)
- Use app demo environments, troubleshooting tools, help center, team communication channels, and internal documentation systems to find the quality answer for a wide range of users
- Maintain a standard level of excellence in regards to response times, resolution times, and the quality of the customer support experience
- Be both a support specialist and an experienced consultant for users of the Handshake platform
- Utilize internal tools to manage issues between Customer Support and Customer Success
What We’re Looking For:
- Passion for the problem: helping launch careers and grow companies by making the best matches between companies and new graduates
- EQ: A strong sense of empathy with users of our products
- Critical Thinking: high attention to detail and ability to troubleshoot with limited information and a clear plan of action
- Grit: strong work ethic, ambition and a bias for action
- Results oriented and ownership: ability to own the Support queue and maintain or exceed ticket and quality goals (50 tickets per week)
- Technical Aptitude: IT, programming, or database skills or background, or ability to learn technical tools and concepts quickly
- GSD: ability to get things done, independently and collaboratively with a team
- Communication: Excellent verbal and written communication skills with a clear ability to communicate complex topics with simple language. Participates in team and other meetings by actively speaking up, sharing ideas and asking questions.
- Teamwork: connects with teammates and actively builds sense of community on Support and with other teams
- Collaboration and Communication: collaborate with manager and team on daily or weekly guidance on ticket workflows and prioritization
- Expertise and Curiosity: retains knowledge, shows ability to partially solve issues independently, and asks questions to increase personal knowledge. Isn’t afraid to do independent research on third party tools and systems to find answers
- Growth Mindset: positive, eager to learn, utilizes resources, takes and gives feedback, connects with support team and key cross team stakeholders (eg Customer Success, Sales, Product, Engineering)
- Diversity and Inclusion: Eagerness to contribute to and help build a diverse and inclusive team and exhibit these values internally and externally with customers or users
- Coverage: Can provide a regular schedule to provide consistent assistance to users. You are based in the U.S. and not a current student.
- Previous call center and/r technical support experience
- Proficiency in ZenDesk
- Can work from our Denver, Chicago, or San Francisco offices
- IT/Programming/Database Management or Finance background, majors, courses, certifications
- Preferred States: CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, IL, IN, MD, MN, MO, NC, NE, VA