The problem: In 2017, nearly 60% of adults in sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That’s for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
How we’re solving it: We’re building financial services to work as they should: no account fees, instantly available and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don’t always function, we’re creating financial infrastructure that “just works.” In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments and we recently launched in Cote d’Ivoire. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. That’s where you come in…
How you’ll help us achieve it
We know design can help us make a great impression on potential users as well as hiring candidates. We recently worked with a design firm to develop a new brand which will launch next month. We’re looking for someone to join our team to implement our new brand in all our materials (posters, signs, flyers, etc.), aiming at a press launch in Q2 2020, then move onto mobile app and web graphic design. You will report to the Head of Product.
- Understand and express our mission, values, strategy and users’ needs through design.
- Take ownership of a companywide brand design style guide of reusable components.
- Produce sketches and comprehensive layouts of print, web page and mobile app design, gather feedback and iterate.
- Finish designs for print and collateral.
- Finish, slice, export and debug assets (images, stylesheets and android layouts) for use in website and mobile apps on different devices (an engineer will have some time to help with the process as needed).
- Understand and apply web and Android platform design principles and best-practices.
- Have substantial experience in either print or application graphic design:
- If print — heavily involved in print/collateral design at a tech company, and at least peripheral involvement in web or app design
- If app — owned the visual design of an important feature on web or mobile
- Have at least some experience in each of print design, web/app design, and technical design work (e.g. fixing layout bugs)
Bonus points if:
- Speak French
- Experience with user experience design
- Location: We are a globally distributed remote company – work from wherever makes you happy!
- This is a full-time position and includes equity.
- Use whatever tools you prefer, but we currently have a bunch of stuff in Sketch.
- Major benefits:
- Subsidized health insurance for you and your dependents and retirement contributions (both vary from country-to-country)
- 26 weeks fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
- We’re a team of ~130 people (90 Senegalese and 40 International) who are deeply passionate about our mission of bringing great financial services to the people who need them most. Our team works remotely across North America, Europe and Africa.
- Every nine weeks our HQ team goes on a five-day retreat together in French-speaking sub-Saharan Africa.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
If interested, please apply here with your CV and portfolio. The portfolio would ideally showcase:
- A variety of product-oriented print, web and/or mobile app designs
- A strong visual aesthetic and understanding of color, typography, iconography and branding
- Practical skills with modern design software tools
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.