The Website Content Moderator performs daily activities that are vital to the operation and support of the Veterans Legacy Memorial (VLM). VLM is a publicly available website designed to honor the service and sacrifice of our Nation’s Veterans. This digital memorial space allows visitors to honor, cherish, share, and pay their respects to Veterans interred or inurned at VA national cemeteries. The VLM platform aims to preserve the legacy of those Veterans by commemorating and sharing their stories.
The VLM Content Moderator will mainly be responsible for:
- approving or denying user-submitted content;
- assigning or suspending Sentry permissions for users; and
- updating Veteran profiles
- as instructed by and in accordance with the National Cemetery Administration (NCA)-provided policies and guidance.
The VLM Content Moderator will:
- Work directly with the VA and project team staff to maintain VLM daily content and user moderation-related operations (va.gov/remember).
- Use a dashboard interface (moderation queue) to review all user-generated content before it is posted on VLM pages to ensure it conforms to the NCA-provided VLM User Policy, and that VLM remains a respectful and informative online experience.
- Post National Cemetery Administration (NCA) content to VLM pages as directed by NCA staff.
- Escalate issues to the VLM Project Manager as needed to determine if submitted content is appropriate.
- Assist VLM Customer Service as needed in response to user and public comments and questions.
- Process and/or approve/disapprove requests for Sentry or Next of Kin user permission sets.
- Create reports from gathered and logged metrics for content requests, Customer Service support, and/or web analytics.
- Manage and track the suspended-user process and propose to NCA staff those users who are repeat offenders for possible suspension of user privileges.
- Produce reports on relevant moderation statistics, issues, and outcomes to include but not limited to comment volume, comment review time, issues that require coordination or escalation, number of users, etc.
- Provide any/all information as it relates to VLM administration (profile content, moderation activities, and decisions, sentry permission sets) when instructed by NCA, for Freedom of Information (FOIA) requests.
- Provide VLM Admin support from 7 a.m. – 5 p.m. (Central Time) Mondays through Fridays, with some Federal Holidays weekends (primarily Memorial Day and Veterans Day).
- Accomplish other duties associated with the VLM Administrator permission set including but not limited to recurring meeting leadership and participation, responding to information or action requests from the VLM Project Manager or other VA government staff, etc.
Additional responsibilities may include backup support for the VLM Help Desk:
- Resolution of help desk tickets received from the general public and members of the VLM platform;
- Interacting with end-users in a compassionate manner while addressing concerns of a personally sensitive nature (lost loved ones, burial information, etc.)
- Escalation of issues to VA stakeholders
- Development, review, and maintenance of help desk process, knowledge artifacts, and other documentation;
- Collaboration across entire VLM project team functional areas to ensure help desk is in alignment with the evolving product as new features are developed and released;
- General support to the VLM Help Desk Lead, such as generating help desk reports, maintaining content on SharePoint sites, and end-user/help desk training session planning and coordination.
This role may evolve to include support for additional products in the Benefits and Memorials portfolio.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written)
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, and Power-Point
- Organized, self-directed, and able to work with minimal supervision·
- Minimum of 4 years of experience supporting public-facing help desks or equivalent
- At least 10 years total professional experience
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- VA clearance (Public Trust) and access
- Knowledgeable of VA organizations and processes
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent